Dark & White Chocolate Cheesecake
Greek people celebrate ‘Name Days.’ Some are bigger celebrations than others. The 21st of May is St Konstantine and Eleni…so my dad and I celebrate this day with a family meal. It’s loud and a little on the crazy side.
When I was growing up, my mum would start preparing food and making sweets and then late in the afternoon people would just start showing up. No invitations were ever sent out but somehow by the end of the night there would have been around 50 people in our lounge room and a couple of times I even remember a small Greek band jammed in a corner with clarinet and bouzouki blasting and everyone would be dancing.
This doesn’t happen anymore but my brother, sister and all the grandkids gather at my parent’s place and we eat and usually make the same amount of noise as those 50 people (plus band!)
I cooked on Sunday so I could just come home from work and pick up the food and dessert and go straight to mum’s place. I knew that we needed something totally yummy so it was white and dark chocolate cheesecake for us. It really was divine!
The recipe calls for the dark chocolate on the bottom and the white chocolate on the top and topped with grated chocolate and dusted with cocoa but I did it the other way around and drizzled melted white chocolate over the top.
- 200g plain chocolate biscuits
- 80g butter, melted
- 1/3 cup cold tap water
- 5 teaspoons gelatine
- 500g cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 150g white chocolate, melted
- 150g dark chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream, whipped
- 100g milk chocolate, grated
- cocoa powder, to serve (I melted white chocolate instead)
- Grease and line a 24cm (base) springform pan. Process biscuits in a food processor to fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Add melted butter. Stir until well combined. Use your fingertips to press into base of prepared pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Place water into a heatproof microwavesafe bowl. Sprinkle over gelatine. Stand for 1 minute. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) power for 20 to 40 seconds or until gelatine dissolves. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and milk until smooth. Stir in gelatine. Divide cream cheese mixture between 2 bowls.
- Stir white chocolate into 1 cream cheese mixture. Stir dark chocolate into other.
- Fold half the cream through white chocolate mixture and half through dark chocolate mixture.
- Pour dark chocolate mixture over biscuit base. Freeze for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Carefully spread white chocolate mixture over dark. Cover. Refrigerate overnight. (Actually, I did it the other way around)
- Release sides of pan. Place cheesecake onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with grated milk chocolate. Dust with cocoa or melt white chocolate and drizzle over the top. Cut into slices with a warm knife. Serve.