Chicken & Vegetable Soup with Pasta
“Recently I have spent more time writing about food than actually cooking any. My family are getting tired of me…and they are hungry!”
This was my status update last night on facebook. It got a couple of likes and a comment! I realsied I didn’t ‘like’ this at all. I need to cook. I need to feed my family as well as my soul!
Tonight I am asking for forgiveness with a pot of Chicken soup with vegetables and pasta. I feel that a soup like this comes from the heart and soul. It’s restorative and wholesome and to me, it means family. I will also serve it with parmesan bread slices in the oven so my family will forgive me a lot quicker.
I have stuffed my family with sweets and desserts over the last 2 weeks, trying out everything under the sun. Over the years I have avoided baking as I was never really good at it. I didn’t have the patience for measuring and weighing. However, I found that I was actually more than ok at it so I went on a bit of a bender and baked as many things as I could. I’ve always wanted to just throw together a tray of scones when friends dropped in without having to check and re check the recipe one hundred times and with scones, at least, I’m getting to that stage.
That, however, has meant that my family have been loaded up with butter, sugar, chocolate, cream and jam. They now need sustenance and wholesome goodness. They need to be calmed down and soothed and we can all breath a sigh of relief to the end of my baking madness, for now!
Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Pasta
- 2 chicken breasts, no skin, cut in strips or cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil and a little butter
- 1 medium brown onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- corn kernels and red cabbage, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre salt-reduced chicken stock plus 2 cups water
- 1 cup (125g) risoni (orzo) or other small pasta such as elbows, farfalle, wheels or fusilli
- 2 large, chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or basil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Parmesan Cheese